IT’s A SELLER’S MARKET! Should I Downsize Now?
We are in a Seller’s Market. Should I take advantage of it and downsize?
A study by Edelman Berland reveals that 33% of homeowners who are contemplating selling their houses in the near future are planning to scale down. Let’s look at a few reasons why this might make sense for many homeowners, as the majority of the country is currently experiencing a seller’s market.
Potential financial advantages to downsizing:
- A smaller home means less space, but it also means less time, stress and money spent on upkeep.
- Let’s assume you save $500 a month on your mortgage payment. In 30 years, you could have an additional $1–1.6 million in the bank to get you through your golden years
- Use the proceeds from selling your current home to pay cash for a smaller one. Just imagine what you could do with no mortgage holding you down! If you can’t pay cash, aim for a 15-year fixed rate mortgage and put at least 10–20% down on your new home. Apply the $500 you saved from downsizing to your new monthly payment. At 3% interest, you could pay off a $200,000 mortgage in less than 10.5 years, saving almost $16,000 in the process.
What kind of lifestyle do I want after I downsize?
“For some folks, it’s a matter of living a simpler life focused on family. Some might want to cross off travel destinations on their bucket lists. Some might want a low-maintenance community with high-end upgrades and social events. Decide what you want to achieve from your move first, and you’ll be able to better narrow down your housing options.”
Comments: Many homeowners are taking the profits from the sales of their current homes and splitting it in order to put down payments on smaller homes in their current locations, as well as on vacation/retirement homes where they plan to live when they retire.
This allows them to lock in the home price and mortgage interest rate at today’s values which makes sense financially as both home prices and interest rates are projected to rise.
Have I built up enough equity in my current home to make a profit?
“For most homeowners, the answer is yes. This is if they’ve held on to their properties long enough to have positive equity that will be sizable enough to put a large down payment on their next home.”
Comments: A study by Fannie Mae revealed that only 37% of Americans believe that they have significant equity (> 20%) in their current home. In actuality, CoreLogic’s latest Equity Report revealed that 78.9% have greater than 20% equity. That equity could enable you to build the life you’ve always dreamt about.
If you are debating downsizing your home and want to evaluate the options you currently have, give me a call and I will happily guide you through the process.
So there you have it, my Dear Reader, IT’S A SELLER’S MARKET! Should I Downsize Now?
Just contact me and I’ll be happy to assist you, your family or friends with any real estate needs.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Sourcew: KCM, Realtor
They serve Oklahoma and OKC Metro: Yukon, Mustang, Bethany, Piedmont, Tuttle, Blanchard, Newcastle, Edmond, Oklahoma City, Moore and Midwest City.
You may contact Bo:
Whether you plan to buy, sell or relocate to our beautiful State of Oklahoma we are here to offer professional service and consultation.
Visit our website:
Blog -Live & Love OKC! (LiveAndLoveOKC.com)
Latest posts by Bo Kociuba (see all)
- MORTGAGE RATES FOR THIS WEEKEND-JUNE 30 - June 30, 2017
- OKC’S MAPS 3 NEW PARK NAME IS … SCISSORTAIL PARK - June 29, 2017
- 2017 PASEO ARTS FESTIVAL – celebrate art in Oklahoma - May 25, 2017